Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Participles and pain

This week we've moved into participles, one of the most important parts of the Greek language and also one of the hardest. I've been a little distracted this week with some health issues and so I didn't do very well on yesterday's test, but since I have an A+ average, I don't think it matters.

Since I've been experiencing some pain this week, I've been reflecting on how people live with chronic pain. I've been very blessed in my life and haven't had to endure a lot of physical pain. I'm really kind of a wimp when it comes to enduring pain. How do people live with it? I find that my thoughts turn inward and I am much more irritable. I have trouble focusing and want to give in more easily. I can't imagine what it would be like to have that as a constant. I'm not sure how I'd get anything done. And yet people are walking around every day with chronic back pain or neck pain or joint pain or muscle pain. I think tooth pain is one that very few people can live with - anything involving nerves is pretty hard to endure. My heart goes out to all those people in pain. I don't tend to notice good health until illness or injury comes along.

Tomorrow I have two doctor appointments, one the GI appointment that took 2 months to get. It's pertaining to the stomach problems that so plagued me at the end of the school year. The situation is much improved since I made the appointment, but I'm still going to see what I can learn. I also have an appointment to check out something that came up over the weekend. I'll wait to write the details until I know a bit more. The likelihood is that it's a small issue, but my imagination doesn't always keep things small. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow and Tuesday afternoon when I have more appointments. I'll keep you posted when I know something more.

One thing's for sure - health problems put Greek into perspective!

4 Comments:

At 8/02/2007 8:22 AM , Blogger Raisin said...

Praying you into this day.

 
At 8/02/2007 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you a happy birthday, belatedly! Hoping your pain goes away soon. Joining the good intentions of the fellow commenter. Wondering if Mr Potter has tempted you yet. Congratulating you on the above average average thingie. Practicing my English participles.

 
At 8/02/2007 9:16 AM , Blogger jsd said...

It's usually a relief after seeing the docs, getting the reassurance that everything is ok. And if the GI doc runs tests then typically the wosrt part is the prep for the actual tests and not the tests themselves - good luck there (and if you ever have to drink barium - don't pick the orange flavor and do refrigerate).

As for living with chronic conditions, at least for me, (and mine isn't debilitating) I forget what not having "it" feels like, and my mind and body adjusted, and on bad days I remind myself that it could be worse but it isn't. Sometimes I long to remember what my body once felt like. But I let that go, as that isn't the journey this body is meant to walk.

 
At 8/02/2007 10:03 PM , Blogger Merely Human said...

Doug-
Yes, I have given in to the HP temptation. After being stuck with needles twice today and going to Greek, I felt a little HP reading was in order.
You're probably one of the few people who actually knows what an English participle is.

Thanking Raisin and jsd for their comments too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home