Monday, July 09, 2007

Intensive Greek, Oh My!

I started Greek today. I think it'll be a good class. I'm very thankful to have already taken a goodly bit of Greek, though admittedly that was 3-4 years ago, and we never had tests and such. We meet every day for 4 hours and are expected to study 8-12 more hours. Obviously that will never happen, but it's only the 1st day, and we've covered about the same as we covered in a month in my prior Greek time. I'm good at memorizing, but this is going to be a challenge. And it's being taught differently than I learned before, always a fun thing. But my classmates seem interesting - there are about 18 of us, 15 of whom either have been or plan to be youth pastors in the Covenant Church. One Roman Catholic, One Episcopalian (me!) and one undeclared, but he's an actor, so that's kind of fun. Three theatre people in the class actually.

I may not have much time for blogging in the next 6 weeks. We have a quiz every day and an exam every Friday. Of course, I may need to escape occasionally and give my brain time to rest and absorb. We had 94 degree heat yesterday, the exact temperature inside my apartment. It got down to 88 overnight, but I have a new fan that blows right on me, so I'm surviving. We're having storms right now, so the temp has cooled off. It's down to 86 inside! Cold showers are my new best friend. After tomorrow we're supposed to have beautiful weather though with highs in the upper 70's. Yay!

Well, I should eat and return to memorization. 1st declension. 2nd declension. Alpha, beta, gamma... Genitive, accusative, dative... Delta, epsilon, zeta...

2 Comments:

At 7/10/2007 3:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all that Greek, you should come with us to Cyprus in October!

It'll even be cooler than Chicago is now, though you will still be able to swim in the Mediterranean, should the urge overtake you. Plus interesting Orthodox churches. And Aphrodite's grotto, so that you can tell all (ok, both) of your pagan friends about it. Did I mention Roman mosaics? ("It's a joke name, sir." "Is it centuwion? I have gweat fwiend in Wome by that name.") There's Roman mosaics. Robert Fulghum apparently spends a fair amount of the time on the island, so if you can meet him, you can ask what he's learned since kindergarten. Really, I think you should. I mean it's not as if you're doing anything else in October, right?

And that Chicago heat? Can you send some? It was 48 when I woke up this morning. If you want cold and rain in mid-July, I'll pack it right over.

 
At 7/11/2007 11:09 AM , Blogger Raisin said...

Screw your brain on tightly! I do know what summer Greek is like! It takes over your life for a bit...have fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home