Pre-Ordination Blessings
There has simply been no time to write - and the Olympics hasn't helped! I have pictures to post but no time to download them. Maybe after Saturday...
I have clergy friends who loved seminary. They loved the academic rigor, the intellectual debate, the time spent in scholarship, the community of peers. A number of them are less fulfilled in parish ministry where the requirements and rewards are different. On the other hand, I was never happy in seminary. Part of it may have been the incredibly anxious system in place at my seminary, but there were many other reasons as well. What I suspected (and desperately hoped) was that though I was unhappy in seminary, I would enjoy parish ministry. That has proven true, and I feel so blessed. There's lots to learn, and I still have feelings of being overwhelmed, but for the most part, I feel happy, and I am so grateful.
Last week I was able to go on a pre-ordination retreat to the mountains. It was everything I'd hoped for, peaceful, restful, time for sleep, prayer, hiking, and practicing the Eucharistic prayer. All the anxiety that built up around Saturday seems to have dissipated, and now I feel joyful and excited. This is a culmination of years of work, and I'm so happy to be here. Plus, so many people are coming. I even got a call last night from an old, dear camp friend who's going to try to be here, and the former artistic director from VSC is coming from NY, as well as family and friends from all over. There will be much rejoicing!
Several people I've visited pastorally have given me blessings, including a 101 year old woman at a retirement facility. I find that pastoral visits are a gift to me.
And now today I've heard that one of my sermons from the preaching conference has been chosen to put in their book. After all my years wanting to be a published writer, at last I will succeed in a completely unexpected way!
So many people have put time and energy and financial support into getting me to this day and arranging for all that will happen on Saturday. How truly blessed I am. I hope I will remain centered and present to all of the events and people and remember every minute of it. Thanks, all.

2 Comments:
wishing I could be there. I am so excited for you as you embark on this next chapter of your life. Blessings to you, my friend!
L., this is so great! Published! A true feast day of friends, family, and God! And a coming home to your work... I'm glad. Many blessings!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home