Saturday, June 21, 2008

Moving Part 99

The movers were due here today. My driver called to say his helpers hadn't shown up, so he was going to come down from Richmond and do it all himself. I had told my contact yesterday that I didn't think a large truck would make it in here and that they would need a shuttle. That message wasn't communicated. My driver came and parked the truck with my stuff in it across the street from my neighborhood 2 1/2 hours ago. He flagged down a passing smaller truck and asked them if they wanted work shuttling my stuff in. They had to go empty their truck and then bring it back. Hopefully at some point today they will be here with my stuff.

My sofa arrived, though, and I am happy to sit on something besides the lawn chair. Makes a big difference.

Last night I went for a long walk. People had told me about "that great walking/bike trail" near my neighborhood. I don't want to be unappreciative, but that great walking/bike trail is a sidewalk. I'm guessing it's about a 3 mile loop of sidewalk, and about 1/5 of it is asphalt instead of concrete and has trees along one side of it, but the rest is just sidewalk with ball parks and schools and busy roads beside it. It's not a trail or path. It's a sidewalk.

There are many things I love about Williamsburg and my new community. But I really miss Lake Michigan.

2 Comments:

At 6/21/2008 9:28 PM , Blogger Rev. Jane Austen said...

Me too!!!

 
At 6/22/2008 12:00 AM , Blogger Dr. KNS said...

Ohhhhh, that's problematic. It seems there's always something when you hire someone to get your stuff from Point A to Point B. Hope your stuff arrives safely and that it's all there. Had a grad school friend who thought her movers seemed a little shady. (Yours don't sound shady so much as logistically challenged.) She was afraid they might try to make off with a few boxes if they knew what was inside...so she labeled them in Slavonic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home