Easter Vigil
Being a deacon is the coolest thing in the world! Being a deacon at the Seabury Easter Vigil was a truly amazing experience. I got to wear the Seabury set dalmatic (that was bigger than me!) and sing the exsultet. I got to lead the procession everywhere we went, carrying the Paschal candle. After we did the "Alleluia, Christ is risen," I got to carry the Paschal candle into the dark chapel and bring the light of Christ there. I got to read the Gospel and set the table and sing the Alleluia dismissal. It was a glorious night. I did a credible job of singing the exsultet, and once I settled in to it my voice lost its shakiness, and I was able to really pray it. I got wax all in my hair just like I used to do when I was an acolyte.
I know I'm making it sound like the service was all about me, and certainly it wasn't, but I had such a joyful time being part of it. Easter Vigil has been my favorite service ever since I first experienced it my freshman year at Sewanee. This year I felt a similar joy as I did that first year. Everything was planned well, and the participants were relaxed. The storytellers did a great job and the sermon was good. The congregation was smaller than usual, but very present.
Whenever we talk theology and congregational development, christology and atonement, how to run a church and how to have the right leadership style, I feel like I've gotten in over my head and I'm doing the wrong thing. But when I'm preaching or leading worship, I feel like I'm doing what I was born to do. I'm sure that when I become a priest I will think that's the coolest thing in the world, but for now, there's just nothing better than being a deacon. The long journey to get here makes the joy of being here all the richer.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home