Friday, February 22, 2008

I made a mistake

I took a peek at some conservative church blogs today to see if the Seabury news had been posted. It was a very foolish thing for me to do. I gave up reading those things months ago because of how much they were raising my blood pressure. I wish I hadn't read them today. It reminded me of the people in other parts of the world who rejoiced on 9/11 when the towers came down. It's hard for me to understand fellow Christians rejoicing in the misfortunes of my seminary. Though I probably disagree theologically and politically with many folks at Trinity and Nashotah House, I do not wish for them not to exist anymore. I do not call them "godforsaken." I can't imagine God forsaking any of God's people, not even those who write vitriolic messages of hate on blogs.

Apparently we are all heretics here at Seabury. Some of the chief complaints included the idea that we "live into our baptismal covenant" and someone's concern that we don't use "The Song of Moses" in our worship. Obviously that person is misinformed since we sang it quite a bit last year during Easter. If being a heretic means that I'm concerned about the mission of the church and about the poor in our country and around the world, if being a heretic means that I believe in respecting the dignity of every human being and loving my neighbors and my enemies, if being a heretic means that I'm quicker to judge myself than other people (because I know the board in my own eye prevents me from seeing clearly the speck in my neighbor's eye) and open to hearing opinions that differ from my own, if being a heretic means that I care passionately about proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ and reconciling the world to God, well then I'm proud to be a heretic.

If being orthodox means that I have to hate my neighbors as well as my enemies, and that I write about it with with obscene language, proving to the world that though I understand some minor points of Levitical law, I have clearly not understood any of Jesus' teaching, then I am glad not to be orthodox.

A friend of mine has a bumper sticker that says, "Jesus didn't teach me to hate."

Jesus said, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

And so, to that end,
Dear God, help me not to judge those who are judging me. Help me to have patience with my brothers and sisters in Christ who disagree with me. Soften my heart, Lord, and soften theirs too, that we might see that we all share in the love of Christ and that we are all here to take part in your reconciling work. Help us all to see that rejoicing in someone else's sorrow does not further your kingdom. Grant us compassion and understanding as we encounter those who differ with us. Forgive them, Lord, for their hateful words, and forgive me for judging them and not letting it go. Send your Spirit to all of our hearts and help us to remember that while we bicker on our blogs, people with real needs are awaiting our help. In Jesus' name, Amen.

8 Comments:

At 2/22/2008 8:04 PM , Blogger Rainy Rector said...

A very quiet and respectful "Amen" to that post, Sister Bear. "Amen."

 
At 2/22/2008 9:56 PM , Blogger Rev. Jane Austen said...

Preach it, Deacon L.!

I hope some of those blog authors read YOURS somehow!

Our Bishop gave a great Convention address today when he said he repented of having negative feelings about the several African Anglican Bishops so active in our Diocese. He was going to choose no longer to have those feelings and even to try to reach out to them, because from now on he was going to be "Pro-human, as Jesus was pro-human."

It was very powerful.

Not easy, but right.

 
At 2/23/2008 5:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other news:

A study suggests cat owners are less likely to die of a heart attack or stroke than people who, well, don't own cats.

And no, dogs don't do the same trick.

The study, by researchers at the University of Minnesota, found that feline-less people were 30 to 40 percent more likely to die of cardiovascular disease than those with cats.

Yet dog owners had the same rate as non-owners. "No protective effect of dogs as domestic pets was observed," said the study, presented Thursday at the International Stroke Conference in New Orleans.

Dr. Adnan Qureshi, a stroke expert at the university, said he decided to raise the question because other studies have suggested pets can help reduce stress. He and his team analyzed a group of 4,435 people who had answered questionnaires about pet ownership and other risk factors.

But the cat-dog differential came as a surprise. "We don't understand this," he said, but "it's probably not a coincidence."

Asked if he owns a cat, Qureshi replied: "No. Maybe I should get one, though."

+++

Purr. It's good for your blood pressure. Probably makes it easier to find the frame of mind for dealing with the uncharitable, too.

 
At 2/23/2008 9:45 AM , Blogger Donna said...

As a miserable Seabury middler, I truly appreciate your kind thoughts coming in our direction.

 
At 2/23/2008 3:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people do like to read those things for the entertainment value of "teh stupid" on display, but I find myself unable to look. Going to try to give you a call this evening. Still thinking of y'all.

 
At 2/24/2008 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

 
At 2/25/2008 12:08 AM , Blogger pmc said...

This is wonderful, thank you for your post...I am going to link to it on my blog. I am keeping the entire Seabury-Western community in my prayers...

Peace, Peter+

http://santospopsicles.blogspot.com

 
At 2/28/2008 12:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly the issues are not limited to Episcopalians. This from California, via the indispensable Atrios:

An evangelical chaplain who leads Bible studies for California lawmakers says God is disgusted with a rival fellowship group that includes people of all faiths.

"Although they are pleasant men in their personal demeanor, their group is more than disgusting to our Lord and Savior," Drollinger wrote on the Capitol Ministries' Web site.

The comments drew immediate fire from others in the capital, including the Republican lawmaker who sponsors Drollinger's Bible study group.

Drollinger said "progressive religious tolerance" is an offense against God and causes harm to its practitioners.

+++

I can't get the full article to load right now, but it's supposed to be here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/27/state/n103821S82.DTL&tsp=1

Criticism of him will, of course, be a clear sign of political correctness run amuck.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home