Overwhelmed
Someone pointed out to me that the greenly spirits hadn't been leaping lately. This week and next I am slammed with school work, and next Thursday I leave to go to VA for annual Council. In some ways that will be a nice break, but in others it means a lot of creative scheduling to be away for almost 4 days. Since it's supposed to be highs in the single digits and lows below 0 next week, I'll proably be happy to be in VA where it's warmer. Brr...
I don't have much else to report because I'm so busy. If you ever think you want to read the Theological Orations of Gregory of Nazianzus, I recommend you take headache powder before starting. Who knew that the Trinity could be so complicated?

3 Comments:
Have you read George RR Martin's fire and ice fantasy series thingie? The priests of the main religion in that world have to contend with seven-who-are-one. Just sayin.
I haven't read it, though I know Orson Scott Card recommends him. Unfortunately fun reading has to wait till after seminary.
7-in-1. I can't imagine what G.Naz would do with that. You'd have the unbegotten, the begotten, the emission, the caused, the emanation, the radiation, and maybe the generation (meaning that which has been generated.) All of these being equal to the unbegotten, of course. The question dividing the East and Western church would be even more complicated here - do the 6 proceed from the unbegotten one or do the 5 proceed through the unbegotten and the begotten? Hard to say.
Not to worry about waiting on the GRRM stuff; the series will apparently run seven volumes in all, and only the first four have been published to date. Books four and five are intended to cover more or less the same period of time, just running in parallel. When four was published in 2005, five was semi-promised for 2006. Well.
Given school reading, it's probably good that Harry Potter arrives in the summer, isn't it?
Attempting seven, G.Naz would definitely have to include the misbegotten. Though the must-be-gettin-on (whether homeward, or to bed is hotly disputed) is probably not canonical.
In GRRM, that particular church has avoided schism. (And please don't tell the author, he might like the idea, and we would never see the end of the story.) It's just laid over at least three different indigenous systems. Interestingly, one of those is monotheistic.
Did you ever make it through Little, Big? The author's longer series is set to come to an end; four books since 1989. I lost my copies of the first two in one move or another and will probably have to start from the very beginning to see if how it holds together. John Dee and Elizabethan angels and modern charismatics and lots of other fun stuff.
Must-be-gettin-while-
the-gettin-is-good.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home