Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Good Week

Last year I pretty much hated seminary. The Pollyanna side of me tried really hard to make the best of it, but I was basically miserable. This quarter, which is supposed to be the hardest quarter at Seabury, I am finally enjoying seminary.

Some very good things have happened this week. I continue to rejoice that I am no longer in the sacristy. I feel such a lightness of being to be free from that daily stress that was sucking all the joy out of my life. I hate to blame all my seminary unhappiness on the sacristy, because that's simply not fair, but not having to go there has given a spaciousness to my days for which I am feeling deeply grateful. Workaholism has always been an issue for me. It feels good to let go of a little of that.

Also, this week I got my canonical evaluation from the Seabury faculty. This is an evaluation that is done halfway through one's time in seminary and sent back to one's bishop. It includes a recommendation (or not) for the student to become a candidate for Holy Orders, the next step on the ordination track. I am currently a postulant, which is usually the hardest state to achieve in my diocese. In May I will have my candidacy interview, a 30 minute or so interview for which I must fly to Norfolk during my last week of classes. The good news is, my evaluation was good. I have also read "Life of Antony" this week about one of the desert monks of the 4th century. One of the chief teachings was humility, so I will not elaborate on my evaluation, but suffice it to say, I was pleased.

I also got to cantor at Eucharist on Wednesday, leading the Psalm by myself. And I had fun! I have always loved to sing but never felt I could do solo work. I am developing the confidence here to lead liturgical singing, and that makes me very happy. And one of the really great singers here told me I had a good voice. (Oh, right, humility...) I also went to yoga (which does a lot for one's humility) on Monday and had four people at Centering Prayer Group.

It's been a good week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home