Thursday, December 21, 2006

Home for the Holidays

I'm back in Fayetteville after a whirlwind tour to Tallahassee. It was great to see my brother and his family. My nephew, Carter, is a charmer. He learned how to climb up the big wooden steps of the playhouse while I was there and to slide down the steep slide with my help. We also spent a lovely half hour on a big wooden swing together in the 80 degree weather. How nice to see so much sun after the gloomy fall in Chicago. Emily and I made up a story about her moving to Montana and making snowmen and having snowball fights. I got to see Emily's kindergarten classroom. She is such a big girl now.

Now I'm at my parents' house, getting ready for Christmas. Dad is feeling much better. We are all grateful. I'm going to see high school friends Cliff, Jill, and Lee in the next few days. We're going to make cookies and play Scrabble and enjoy time together. It's good to be home.

3 Comments:

At 12/25/2006 1:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! (To one and all, and especially you!)

How's Jill?

Speaking of Scrabble, a tidbit from the late John M. Ford, none of whose books I can find for sale over here:

I don’t recommend playing with God. It isn’t that he cheats, exactly. But the other night we were in the middle of a game, I was about thirty points up, and He emptied out his rack. ZWEEGHB. Double word score and the fifty-point bonus.

“Zweeghb?” I said.

“Is that a challenge?”

“Well…” If you challenge God and you’re wrong, you lose the points and get turned into a pillar of salt.

“Look outside,” He said. So I did. Sure enough, there was a zweeghb out there, eating the rosebushes, like Thurber’s unicorn.

“I thought you rested from creating stuff.”

“Eighth day, I did. Now I’m fresh as a daisy. You going to pass or play?”

 
At 12/25/2006 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

testing

 
At 12/26/2006 6:19 PM , Blogger Merely Human said...

Merry Christmas to you, too, Doug. We giggled over the ZWEEGHB. I feel like I've read that before but I can't remember when. Jill's doing fine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home