Sunday, January 14, 2007

Authentic Movement

I did something very cool tonight called Authentic Movement. It had been recommended to me by my choreographer friend, Casey, and my therapist facilitates it, but this was the first time I'd gathered the energy to attend. Well worth it. I had wanted to stay in my warm apartment and not venture out into the cold rain (not snow!) to have an adventure I wasn't sure I wanted. But it was well worth it. Basically it's a small group that gets together in a yoga space for a couple of hours. After a warm-up, each person finds a space in the room and closes her eyes and then moves in the space according to the inner impulses she feels. (I'm using feminine pronouns because all the people there tonight were female.) You're responsible for not running into other people, so you can open your eyes enough to make sure you're keeping the space safe, but other than that you can move any way you want to. You can sleep or do yoga or sit in a corner or dance or hug the world (like I did) or whatever. It was extraordinarlily cool, and I even had ordination process imagery work its way into my movement without my conscious intent. I hope I get to go again.

1 Comments:

At 1/14/2007 11:05 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Yay for authentic movement! I'd forgotten all about it. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home