Friday, September 28, 2007

Preaching is like art

Once I've completed one sermon and it's gone well, I'm sure I'll never have another good idea again! I've heard artists say this about the creative process, and I experienced it some when I used to write short stories. I do love preaching, but I'm not sure how I'll ever get used to preaching every Sunday. The Thecla sermon went so well, and my main idea for it came to me rather easily. This Sunday's sermon is not coming easily. It's the parable of Lazarus and the rich man. Both the Old Testament and epistle lessons are about money, too. I'm struggling to come up with something to say. Usually by Friday night I'm in the polishing stages, but this time I've barely started the first draft. I've caught up a lot on my blog reading while I've been wrestling. Next I'll start cleaning the apartment...

1 Comments:

At 10/01/2007 12:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm told that when Tchaikovsky was asked about the creative process, he answered that he was in the conservatory every morning at 8am, and the muse had best show up punctually as well.

Of course, that's probably the reason he was Tchaikovsky and we aren't. (That, and the whole name thing and the born-in-the-19th-century thing, and the Russian thing, and the composer thing, and gosh there sure are a lot of other reasons we aren't Tchaikovsky. But it's still a good story about the muse, even if apocryphal. Hope the sermon went well)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home