First Day of School
Today was a weird first day of school because I didn't have class until 6:30. It was also weird because part of the plaster wall in the chapel fell in, so we will be unable to worship in the chapel for a couple of weeks. We will have services in the Seabury Lounge instead. I was surprised that I enjoyed Evensong in there. Felt much more communal than when we're all scattered in our separate pews in the dark. I enjoyed Dean's Mass in there too. I appreciated a lot of what the dean said in his sermon today.
I am amazed at how different it feels to start my senior year. I have begun the past two years with incredible anxiety, feeling unprepared and overwhelmed, and in tears. This year I feel ready. Part of it is not having the sacristy duties. Part of it is probably the after effects of the Hoffman Process. Part of it is knowing this is the last year. Part of it is just being familiar with things, despite many changes here, and finally feeling somewhat comfortable here. Whatever the reasons, I'm glad it is this year. I always like the beginnings of classes. I hope I continue into them still liking them.
I heard a great sermon on Sunday about how we choose where we sit. It made me think about driving around in rural VA comparing one small town to another and trying to determine which town was "better." But we don't do ministry in order to be in a town with cuter houses or more restaurants, do we? We go where we're called to do ministry with the people who need us there, and so I really shouldn't be trying to compare towns to find a "cooler" town. It was a sermon I really needed to hear. I really appreciate it when God sends a clear message, even if I don't always want to hear that message.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home