Friday, August 24, 2007

Country Churches

I have found a few excellent reasons for doing ministry in rural Virginia:
Sweet tea at every restaurant
Homegrown tomatoes
Very little traffic
Very friendly people with good stories
Time for naps

Some challenges:
Greatly expanding waistline due to too much food being served
Logging trucks
Lots of vegetables
August heat and humidity

We had a good day today greeting a widow of one of the former rectors who came to see one of the churches and to visit her old friends. We all had lunch together. Then we went and visited with a parishioner in a nursing home. I thought I was back in CPE. She was a lovely lady with great stories. It seemed like we didn't do that much and yet I was exhausted when we got home and needed a nap. I think my summer has caught up to me and the weariness is taking over.

Tomorrow we have a day off. Supposed to be 97 again. Maybe I'll get to the pool. Big dinner plans in South Boston.

1 Comments:

At 8/25/2007 6:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you'll learn to like veggies if those are the only choice. Can't beat home grown tomatoes. Miss you. One and a half inches of RAIN last night. Yippee!We are washed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home