Sunday Homecoming
Sunday was a very special day. After an evening with my brother and his family, including a great game of wrestling with my niece and nephew (pictures later), I showed up for preaching at St. Andrew's in the Pines. I was the first woman to preach there. The 8:00 service went very well. There were about 20 people, widely scattered. I also helped serve at the altar, and after the service, I enjoyed spending some time with the people. At the 10:00 service there were 165 people, filling the church. Many of them had come in support of me. Most of them were friends of my parents. 3 of them were friends of mine from jr. high. I was overwhelmed as I saw so many people I knew coming in.
Clearly God gave me an opportunity for humility. I had decided to go without notes, and I got through the first service okay, but halfway through the second service I realized I had completely forgotten my sermon. So I made a joke about Greek driving the sermon out of my head and went to get my notes in order to finish. Everyone said I handled it well. Of course I was mortified, but I think it was okay. People seemed very moved by what I had to say. I think I just got overwhelmed by all the familiar faces and the import of preaching to this particular church. The lesson was about Jesus bringing division to the world, and I addressed the division that had gone on in their church. I am hoping it was healing. People responded very well.
We had a wonderful brunch afterwards, thrown by one of my mom's friends. It was an exhausting day, but also exhilarating. I feel very good about how it went. Below are a few pictures.
Me with our organist
Me and my dad
Me and my mom
I'm off for VA tomorrow. Had a great massage today. Got to go to Book Club, too. Not sure if I'll have internet in VA. I'll post when I get the chance.

1 Comments:
Hey there-
Give your folks a hug or me.
Kara
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home