Saturday, October 21, 2006

A Rainy Saturday

It's another Saturday morning, though this week it's overcast with a promise of a steady rain later in the day and plunging temperatures for next week. I suppose the rain won't bother me too much since I have to stay in and write an Ethics paper this weekend. Thursday we leave for two weeks in Kansas, and the paper has to be done by then. I'm writing on Reconciliation, only I haven't really narrowed the topic. The assignment is to pick one of three topics: economics, intimacy, or reconciliation, and to locate the topic in the history of Anglican moral theology, focusing on one Anglican theologian. I've sort of done it in a backwards way by picking a theologian, William Reed Huntington, who lived at the end of the 19th century. He was the one who developed the 4 points used to make the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral. They are the 4 things he says must be present for church unity (meaning unity of all the Christian denominations.)

1. Holy Scriptures
2. Creeds
3. 2 sacraments - baptism and eucharist
4. historic Episcopate

I wanted to write on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa, but somehow I've landed at the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral. I suppose I'll link it to modern ecumenism. Funny that as some of the mainline denominations are starting to come together that the schisms are now happening within communions instead of between them.

Somehow I'm not sure this will be interesting to anyone reading here, but I realized I hadn't posted in awhile, and all that's on my mind today is this paper.

2 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 3:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Funny that as some of the mainline denominations are starting to come together that the schisms are now happening within communions instead of between them."

But not necessarily funny ha ha.

This is tapping (as of someone gently rapping, rapping) at my poor brain, insisting that I have read almost these exact words with respect to. What? That's the question. Political parties? (Not too likely, as realignment is almost done.) Countries? NGOs? Something else? I don't know, it was another case where historical fault lines were less relevant, and the current divisions were within the whatevers and along similar lines within each whatever.

Hmm. I have been wrestling with the new internet router too long I see, and the organic memory cache has been emptied. Anyway, I can obviously connect, but we have yet to find out if Iris can connect over her wi-fi card.

Anyway, good luck with the Ethics. And if I remember where those cleavages are, I'll let you know.

 
At 10/22/2006 4:58 PM , Blogger Merely Human said...

I can't recall you having difficulty remembering cleavages.

Yes, the Anglican Communion may well split, and in fact is at the very least splintering, while at the same time the Anglicans and ELCA are now in full Communion. We're working on it with the Methodists. We're able to do a modified joint service with those who participate in Churches Uniting in Christ, including Presbyterians. But we who walk the Middle Way, we who are known for holding differences in tension, we who come to the table together no matter our differing opinions, we are no longer holding together very well. Definitely not funny ha ha.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home