Post Trip Musings
Well, I've been in a funk, so I haven't written anything. And I've left out some of the good parts of my trip. My sermon went well in my sponsoring parish. I've decided I don't like preaching for seminarians. They have a whole different expectation than normal people in the pew. At the 8:00 service I was just a little tentative with the sermon, but at the 10:15 I preached the hell out of it, if I do say so myself. Unfortunately my church is having a difficult time at the moment, so there was a lot of stress during my visit. But I did have lots of yummy crab, and it was great catching up with everyone.
I left Norfolk and spent the evening with my good friend Robin. We had hours of talking and catching up. I've already written about the Peaks of Otter and the noisy neighbors. The mountains were beautiful. If I hadn't been so exhausted by then, I would have enjoyed it more. I went on a lengthy hike straight up a mountain and was disappointed to find no view at the top. As I hiked along, miserable and aching from the strenuous climb, I started composing a post about how much I hate the line about the journey being the important thing and not the destination. The journey up that mountain had nothing fun about it. It was too steep for me, and the only thing that kept me going was the thought of the reward of a view at the top. I even sat down and cried halfway up the mountain and told God that the mountain felt like seminary and I wasn't sure why I was attempting either one of them. When I had climbed for an hour and 45 minutes, I started back down. Just before getting to what I thought was the edge of the top, I clambered over some rocks, and holding on for dear life, I was able to look down at the magnificent view below. I took some pictures that I'll post whenever I finish the roll. (Still using an old-fashioned camera.) It was a great view, even if it was scary to hang onto rocks while looking. When I heard thunder, though, I decided it was time to head back down.
That night I stayed in Charlottesville with my friend, Katherine. We had a great time, and I slept well for the first night on the trip. The next day found me driving through some blinding rain to Berea, KY to visit seminarian friend, Janey. We had a great dinner and toured the Berea campus. By that time I could hardly walk because of the muscles I had pulled during the mountain climb. We laughed a lot as I hobbled around.
Although my trip exhausted me and seems to have taken reserves I didn't know I had without replenishing them, it was great to reconnect with old friends and to visit with people from the church that has raised me up to this ministry. It's so easy to forget what I'm doing here, but it was nice to be reminded of that supportive community back home.

5 Comments:
So was it an early, James Brown type of funk? Or maybe something inflected with early-70s glam, Parliament Funkadelic-like? A stripped-down, low groove Prince kind of funk? Or one of these really awful white-boy-with-an-overbite and no coordination at all types of funk?
(ps, the authentication code for this one looks like a cross between Arabic and Welsh; are you sure commenting here won't get me on some sort of government watch list?)
Ah, my friend, I've missed you. I'm not quite as knowledgeable as you are on types of funk, but I would call it a melancholy "made-the-wrong-choice-for-my-vocation-but-am-too-tired-to-do-anything-about-it" blues funk. Not sure if there's an artist for that one. May have to write the music myself. Probably lends itself more to country than funk, though.
Didn't you tell me grad school was really hard?
As for the authentication code, well, with Homeland Security around, I think you can safely assume your comments will land on a list - whether they're watching you for terrorism or bad humor is difficult to determine at this time.
Well, too much exposure to the funk of unwashed socks, that's what I blame the excessive knowledge of funkiness on. And jokes so lame they probably qualify as terrorism of some sort.
Apropos got-the-blues kind of stuff, at the end of work today the iPod served up Garth Brooks' "American Honky-Tonk Bar Association." Good one.
I think I did say that if grad school is really hard, it's a sign you're in a good one and doing it right. And I was only going in politics 'n stuff, it's not like we were wrestling with fundamental problems of human existence. (Ok, given that it was German history and politcs, we did do a certain amount of that, and we got more about questions of evil than your run-of-the-mill international relations program, too, but it wasn't like we set out to explore the transcendental for three years.) Hang in there; I'm sure it gets better.
I've missed you, too. Mail may come, but I'm likely to just infest your comments. Am presuming that's part of the point of this blog-thingie.
Infest away. There's not really a point to this blog except that I was curious how to create one and it seemed like a good way to keep in touch with people or at least for people to keep in touch with me. Besides, all the cool kids have one, and you know how much I like to run with the in-crowd.
Thanks! Your blog has been silent recently...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home