Keeping the Candle Lit
I'm reading a wonderful book this Lent titled, Pilgrim Road: A Benedictine Journey Through Lent. It's by Albert Holtz, O.S.B. The book has a reading for every day of Lent and weaves Albert's travels into his reflections on the Lenten journey. I'm never sure when I pick books off of Amazon whether they will be what I really want. But this one was also recommended by the daily ENS newsletter. I am very satisfied with the choice.
Today's reading described Albert's visit to Saint Etienne du Mont in Paris, the home of the relics of St. Genevieve. Evidently Genevieve saved Paris from destruction by the Huns in the 5th century. I'd never heard of her until this morning's reading, or if I have, I've forgotten. In the church is a wooden statue of St. Genevieve holding a white candle. On her left shoulder is a small, dark-brown demon, cheeks puffed full of air, trying to blow out the flame of the candle. On her right shoulder is a little white-robed angel waiting with a lit taper in his hand, ready to relight the candle should it go out.
Albert reflects on the nature of perseverance as he gazes on this statue. I feel captured by this image as I reflect on my own Lenten journey this year. The demons of self-doubt, impatience, criticism, and discouragement may sit on our shoulders trying to blow out our light, but God's angel is always there, patiently waiting to rekindle it. It's so easy to allow our struggles and concerns and worries to get us down and extinguish our light. I'm reminded of the song we sing so often in Children's Chapel: "This Little Light of Mine." The children love that one and frequently ask to sing it. "Won't let Satan 'blow' it out - I'm gonna let it shine!"
We all wrestle with demons of one kind or another. What I find so helpful is imagining this statue of St. Genevieve with its very concrete images of the demon and the angel. My prayer this week is that when the demon starts puffing up to blow out the light, I will remember that the angel is right there, ready to rekindle the light, even if it should blow out. I don't have to do it alone. God is right there with me, shining through, no matter how many demons may blow their noxious breath my way. This Lenten journey through the wilderness leads us to the Easter Vigil song, "The light of Christ."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home