Friday, July 10, 2009

Goodness of the Garden

This year Hickory Neck church has started a community garden. The church is on about 11 acres of land, so it seemed only right to use that land. Some parishioners tilled up a large rectangular space and divided it into plots. We've seen other parishioners coming in each week to plant and weed and tend their plots. Now the produce is rolling in. One Sunday I looked out and the garden was dotted with parishioners looking at plants or picking produce. Kids were playing in between the corn stalks. It was if we were having a "garden party." Literally.

This week someone came in and asked if I wanted any vegetables. Now most of my readers probably already know my relationship with veggies is not a favorable one. I just don't like 'em. Although I wish I did. But I do like the things that go in salads. So I went out to inspect his harvest and saw that he had cucumbers. I took one home and cut part of it up. It was still warm from the sun. It tasted like I remember the ones tasting from the gardens of my childhood. I've been having some every night for dinner. (It was a large cucumber.) Yesterday he gave me another cucumber and a tomato. I do like homegrown tomatoes. If only I liked more veggies! But I'll enjoy the ones I have, the fruit of the labors of the Hickory Neckers.

1 Comments:

At 7/21/2009 6:30 PM , Blogger Rainy Rector said...

Maybe you need to find a church where the parishioner raise cattle!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home