Saturday, January 23, 2010

Irritating Things

I love my house. I do. However, it has been very frustrating. Not long after I moved in I discovered water leaking onto my downstairs ceiling - turned out to be a leak in the shower pan from my bathroom. Got it fixed but didn't manage to paint over the water stains. Then, this summer, my refrigerator flooded my kitchen, requiring me to replace most of the downstairs flooring - fortunately an insurance claim took care of it and I got hardwood floors for a little extra - but my downstairs was torn up for 3 months. Now, the leak in the ceiling is back. This time they had to cut out portions of the ceiling. Crack in the shower pan. Awaiting repainting and stippling.

Tonight my microwave decided to die. Or at least seem to die. When I turn it on it makes a grinding sound and starts to smell like smoke. Great. I gave away my old microwave, thinking I didn't need it because this one is installed over my oven. I can't just run out and buy a new one because the old one is part of the oven now. I don't even know how to go about replacing it. And I barely know how to cook without the microwave. The few things I can cook I would then need a microwave to reheat for later meals. Sigh...

As I lament my house's technical difficulties, I find myself feeling a bit ashamed for grumbling when I at least have a house and access to food and water and a shower. The people in Haiti have nothing. I can't fathom their loss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home