Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Schedule

If you asked my seminary classmates they would probably state that I am obsessed by schedules, something that several of them took advantage of on a number of occasions. The fact that I started each quarter by reading, marking, learning, and inwardly digesting the syllabi for all classes meant that I almost always knew what was due on a given day. I like having a schedule planned in advance and knowing what I'm going to be doing.

So you can imagine that I'm having difficulty adjusting to a place where there is no set schedule. Sure, some days have meetings. Some days have lots of meetings. Sundays are great because I know what the schedule is - it's exhausting, but at least I know what to expect. But I can't get into a routine here because some days I have meetings in the morning and at night. I frequently don't know when I need to be in until the day before. I have no set office hours. The time that seems to be my own most days is between 3-6pm, a time when I seem to fall instantly asleep, thereby preventing me from falling asleep later that night and then getting me into a bad sleep cycle. (Yes, that happened today - with a class and a sermon demanding my attention!)

I know that I will work out the routine eventually - like in a year. But for now, I just end up feeling tired all the time and then mad at myself because I can't seem to get work done when I need to get it done and then I'm scrambling at the last minute. And then I never get to all those things on the list that are bigger picture items because I'm so busy trying to get done what needs to be done for the next day. And I wish I wouldn't feel so tired all the time.

1 Comments:

At 9/11/2008 6:27 AM , Blogger Heidi Haverkamp said...

Bishop Lee talks about "the tyranny of the urgent" in daily ministry, which keeps us away from that big picture stuff. It's hard to get used to the open-endedness of ministry, I agree. Hang on and be forgiving of yourself!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home