Thursday, September 11, 2008

Not Amused!

There was really only one thing I was dreading about returning to the south. It wasn't the heat, though I will be glad when we stop having 90+ degree days. It was the roaches. I was hoping, though, that by living in a relatively new complex, I wouldn't have to deal with them. Wrong I was! I had a run-in with them the first week until my neighbor gave me a few of the super-huge roach baits that you use with the super-huge roaches that seem to have infested my home. The baits seemed to do the trick. But apparently a friend saw a roach at my ordination party and without telling me, he disposed of it. Then I saw two smallish ones downstairs, so I added a few more baits and did a thorough cleaning. (Mind you, these guys were here before me, so it is NOT my housekeeping or lack thereof that is the problem.)

Tonight though the nightmare came true. I was changing shirts to go out for a walk. I had taken off the shirt I was wearing and was looking for another shirt when I felt something on my back. I did my "Insect get off me" dance, jumping and wiggling and waving my arm at my back. I turned around and saw a 3 inch roach scurrying into my closet. UNACCEPTABLE!!! Fortunately the baits seem to be having some effect because he was sluggish. And my trusty flyswatter and I made short work of him, but still! I cannot imagine how he got on me. Was he in my hair? Had he been on my back while I was working on the computer? Did he somehow jump on me while I was changing clothes? It was bad enough to know they were lurking somewhere in the walls, but to have one get on me. I seriously doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight.

10 Comments:

At 9/11/2008 8:28 PM , Blogger Raisin said...

Dear 3-inch roach,
Get the f*** OUT of Lauren's life, you and your whole sorry family, or you will really regret that you ever breathed for a single second. Lauren has better things to do than chase your miserable friends, so y'all beat it NOW!

 
At 9/11/2008 9:00 PM , Blogger Lee said...

Oh, Lauren.... I feel your pain. More baits, my friend. And maybe an exterminator?

 
At 9/11/2008 9:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

call Orkin! ewww gross!
you can come stay with me and commute an hour to work!
I too feel your pain! R

 
At 9/12/2008 12:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roaches aren't truly bad until they fly. But you're probably too far north to have the really primeval critters we had down in the Louisiana swamps...

 
At 9/12/2008 7:29 AM , Blogger Merely Human said...

I used to get the flying ones in Norfolk. I am thankful that these don't seem to fly, though I'm still unclear how this one got on me if he didn't fly up.

 
At 9/12/2008 8:46 AM , Blogger Jentyger said...

Yuck! But I have to say, this actually makes me feel better about the huge silverfish that was sharing the tiny bathroom with me this morning.

Jennifer

 
At 9/12/2008 11:59 AM , Blogger Jill Hobson said...

So I have to admit that I have had that experience once myself...when I was in high school. It can scar you for life!

Probably time to call in some professionals, eh?

 
At 9/12/2008 5:11 PM , Blogger emolitors said...

Yet another reason why I choose to stay in the frozen north! I spent one summer in D.C., and the number of roaches I encountered was enough to last me a few lifetimes.

 
At 9/13/2008 2:44 PM , Blogger Rev. Jane Austen said...

Dear Zoya,
Lauren appreciates your being under her bed to guard and keep her, but really, girl, it is time to earn that cat food and the lovely perch in the office.

I had a similar thing happen years ago in a worse body location which I will not name here, so I actually DO feel the shivers.

Zoya will not likely conquer the invaders, and bait is a nice minor deterrent but I agree-- time for Orkin!!!! I did that after my incident and the neighbor actually screamed at me for driving them over to her house!! ;-0

 
At 9/14/2008 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Orkin is a good idea. I used the baits that sterilize their reproductive systems, and it worked quickly and well. You seem to have raised the ire of Raisin, though. She never uses the asterisk word! That alone should exorcise them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home