Friday, March 23, 2007

End of the Week

I'm surprised that the first week of a new quarter was only slightly less busy than the last week of the old. I finally have a class schedule, though, and I think I'm happy with it. This quarter I am taking Ethics 2 and Liturgical Music 2, Celtic Christianity, Pastoral Administration, and Theology of Music. Next week has managed to become jam-packed because we have our Prospective Students' Days, plus I'm preaching and doing a Celtic presentation. It seems like all I write here is about how busy I am. Surely there must be something else to talk about than that!

My Ethics class is exciting me, and that is completely unexpected. So far classes like Ethics and Theology have simply bypassed me. I've learned things, but I've rarely been able to understand what was going on in class. Too abstract. Too heady. But my new Ethics professor is treating this like an introductory course (which it is!) and he explains things! He defines the terms and gives concrete examples. It still takes an intense amount of focus for me to understand and think things through, but this time I stand a chance! This is what I remember from undergrad. I don't think I like adult learning, at least not as it has been embodied here - where it seems that my job is to teach myself things and then come and share with the professor what I learned. I learn a lot more when teachers actually TEACH, not simply ask me what I think of the material. I guess I'm old-fashioned or simply not fond of graduate school.

Yoga tomorrow. I am liking it as much as people have told me I would.

1 Comments:

At 3/26/2007 9:34 PM , Blogger Heidi Haverkamp said...

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear that someone from the University of Chicago is clear and makes sense, that he's teaching you and not just leaving you confused and lost! I suppose it may just be self-validatio in some way, but I'm glad all the same. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home