Friday, March 12, 2010

Prodigal Son

I'm preaching on the parable of the prodigal son on Sunday. My companion for this sermon has been Henri Nouwen's book, Return of the Prodigal Son. I read this book last year and used it for the focus of my Lent Quiet Day last year. It's a wonderful book. In it Nouwen explores the parable through the lens of the Rembrandt painting, Return of the Prodigal Son. I kept avoiding this book for a long time because I didn't have an interest in the painting, but the way Nouwen weaves his experience with the painting in and out through his reflections on the parable and the spiritual journey is very helpful. I even bought a poster of the painting that now hangs on my office wall.

Each of the characters in the parable offers rich space for reflection. Who are you in the parable? The younger son? The older son? The forgiving father? Like Nouwen, I believe we're called to become the father. But it can be so hard to grow up out of being one of the lost children. What would our world be like if we could all throw off our grudges and resentments and sense of status and wounds and reach out with love and forgiveness to everyone around us? What would it be like to let go of everything that prevents us from reaching out to others? What would it be like to let go and let God love us and love through us? I guess that's what heaven will be like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home