Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Evensong Joy

I first started singing Evensong as an undergrad at Sewanee. I'm not sure that I liked it at first. Too much Anglican chant. Too many mags and nuncs. Too much choir rehearsal. But after four years of singing it once a month, it grew on me. After college, I didn't get to participate in it often, though, until I went to seminary, and we had Evensong 3 nights a week. I didn't go every time, but I went a lot, became a cantor on a team, and then learned to officiate. I do love Evensong, though I have to say I prefer Anglican Chant to the Plainsong Psalter.

This year for Lent Hickory Neck Church is doing "less is more." Instead of rushing around seeing how many programs we can offer, we are doing a simple Evensong on Wednesday nights. No dinner, no program. One of our seminarians is teaching the Adult Forum for Lent, and I am offering a Quiet Day on the theme of forgiveness. As I talk to other clergy and hear them lamenting how busy Lent is, I am grateful that I am at a parish that likes the idea that we're having a more contemplative Lent.

Tonight we had our first Evensong. I did not officiate (my turn next week) but I got to wear my brand new cassock and surplice and tippet and hood. I felt pretty fancy. As I stood there in our historic chapel that was lit by candles and watched the sun sinking behind the trees and looked out at the familiar faces of the congregation and heard the cars speeding by on Rte 60 and sang beautiful hymns, I felt suffused with joy, joy that I'm a priest and IT'S MY JOB to spend my time singing to God.

So many times since I've become a priest I've stood during worship in complete awe that I get to do what I want to do. Sure, there are plenty of things that are hard, and I know life would be much more difficult if I were a solo priest instead of an assistant, but I am so grateful God called me to this work. I'm so glad it's my job to go to church and worship God and listen to people and serve people and preach the Word and baptize and preside at the Eucharist. I am blessed.

3 Comments:

At 3/04/2009 10:53 PM , Blogger Lee said...

isn't it amazing to have a job that you frequently think, "wow, I get paid for this!"

Blessings to you this Lenten season.

 
At 3/06/2009 1:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your joy.

 
At 3/07/2009 12:37 PM , Blogger Rainy Rector said...

You put into words the same feelings I have been marveling at this year. Bless you in your quiet, meditative Lent.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home