Monday, February 02, 2009

One year anniversary

Yesterday was Feb. 1, the one year anniversary of my ordination as a deacon. St. Brigid's feast day. It felt right to be the guest preacher/presider at the church where I did my internship during the discernment process. It was a closure of sorts with that church that was so kind and warm to me. I remember how anxious I was when I started and what a blessing the experience turned out to be.

One year of ordained life. I am so happy to be where I am. This morning I looked back at my journal entries around my ordination date. At the time I was also interviewing for jobs. Here is what I wrote in the middle of the interview process:

Please God, guide me in my discernment and help me to know where the best place is to use my gifts. Help me to find a community where I can thrive and feel good about my work. Help me find a place where I can grow into my call and partner with people in doing your work. Help me find a place where I feel called and not just a place where I can have a job. Help me find a place, Lord, where I can find joy in doing your work.

Wow. I don't remember writing that. But it's exactly what I've found at Hickory Neck Church. I have tons to learn, and there are days of intense frustration, and there is exhaustion, but for the most part I find joy in doing the work that I do here. I find joy in being an ordained person. I find joy in being in such a loving community. It's not perfect - no person or community is, but it is the right place for me to be right now, and I am so grateful.

Some people at my internship parish told me yesterday that what I'm doing seems to agree with me. They commented on my authenticity and joy. I never knew what I wanted to do with my life, and it feels like such a blessing that I know now. This is what I was born to do. It is a great gift to be able to do it.

2 Comments:

At 2/04/2009 8:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words to hear, as I start working on the job hunt process. It seems easy to fall into the "please, I just need a job" type of prayer.

 
At 2/04/2009 10:48 AM , Blogger Rainy Rector said...

Congratulations! One one year AND on finding a parish that answers your prayer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home