Thursday, January 03, 2008

Contemporary Society + Many packages

Today has been a bad exam day both for question answering and for answer submitting. I learned after lunch that I have mis-numbered all of my answers so they have received (if they've successfully received anything) three sets marked as set 1. I have now remedied the situation by giving corrected hard copies to our very kind administrator. I feel like an idiot in many ways today.

But... I never realized that taking big exams would prompt package sending. I received 3 today and one yesterday. The one that came today right at the end of my first exam while I was trying to finish was a care package from my parents' church. I also received popcorn from my parents and flowers from my relatives in MI. Very unexpected. So, I was all prepared to go lick my wounds, but the joy of unexpected surprises and heaps of encouraging emails and facebook pokes has lifted my spirits and reminded me of how much I'm loved, even if I couldn't solve the problem of evil, develop an ecclesiology for the church and fix the health care crisis in the past 48 hours. Thanks everyone. It makes a difference.

Here are today's questions: Don't you wish you were taking the GOEs?
Set 3: Christian Theology

Open Resources

In a three-page essay,
A. Identify briefly foundational elements for creating a contemporary doctrine of the church (ecclesiology) within the Episcopal/Anglican traditions.

B. Expand and elucidate the elements identified, using scriptural references and the theological traditions of the church, both historical and contemporary, to substantiate your thinking. Include in your essay specific illustrations of these theological elements as they are manifested in the ways The Episcopal Church orders itself for mission and ministry.

Set 4: Contemporary Society

Limited Resources: Annotated Bible, Book of Common Prayer, and other authorized liturgical texts of The Episcopal Church

Many consider today's health care system in the United States to be in crisis. Numerous studies have shown that health insurance coverage improves access to and quality of medical care and can contribute to the overall health of Americans. The latest available health insurance statistics from the National Health Interview Survey reports that:

# In 2006, 14.8% of Americans, or 43.6 million, were without health insurance, a 6% increase over 2005.


# Among working-age adults (those aged 18-64), 19.8% did not have health insurance in 2006, an increase in the uninsured from 18.9% the year before.


# Approximately 9.3% of children under the age of 18 did not have health insurance in 2006, a slight increase in the uninsured from 8.9% in 2005.


The report added that the increase was primarily in the non-elderly adult population because of "diminishing employer coverage and pricier private insurance."

In an integrated essay of three pages:

A. Develop a theological response to this situation using relevant biblical texts and resources from the Book of Common Prayer or other authorized liturgical texts of The Episcopal Church.

B. In light of the answer above, how can this church respond to the issues of access to adequate health care? In the essay include at least two practical examples each for two of the following: individuals, congregations, dioceses, The Episcopal Church.

1 Comments:

At 1/03/2008 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Now I remember why I never went to Seminary.

Good luck on the remaining sections!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home