Ethics
It's a good thing that scripture went well because I tanked on Ethics. Seemingly simple, but I had no idea how to answer it and couldn't even fill two of three pages. I know I failed, but maybe that'll be the only one. I knew this was probably my hardest one, well this and theology which is next. I just kept laughing because I sucked so badly.
Here are today's questions for those who have nothing better to do than to read GOE questions:
Set : Holy Scripture
Limited Resources: An annotated Bible, such as the New Oxford Annotated Bible or the HarperCollins Study Bible, and a concordance. Read Deuteronomy 28:1-14 and Luke 18:18-25 and address the following in a three-page essay:
A. What is the relationship between prosperity and faithfulness in each passage?
B. Readers use a variety of hermeneutical principles to interpret the Bible. Using these two passages as examples, articulate and explain the principles of interpretation that guide your reading of the Bible, especially when texts may present significantly different theological understandings.
C. You have been asked to preach a sermon using the two passages named above. Summarize the main points you would make in your sermon. Be sure it engages both passages.
Set : Christian Ethics and Moral Theology
Open Resources
Are there any acts that are inrinsically evil?
Answer this question in a three-page essay, building a case for your answer that makes use of resources from the Christian ethical tradition.

6 Comments:
Oh, good heavens! Of course you tanked on that question. You know what your problem is? You have not one evil molecule in your body, that's what your problem is!
I'm not even sure there is an answer to that question. Ok, yes, there is an answer [multiple answers, actually], but good grief... the circles one could go in attempting to answer. I would have looked at the question and laughed.
You probably did way better than you think you did. Remember, our personal expectations for what equals "good" are set very, very high.
A: Moose kisses.
Apropos of nothing at all, a story overheard on the internet:
There was once a conjurer who boasted that he had become god-like. One god happened to overhear, and challenged him to a contest.
“Can you do this?” the god asked, scooping up a handful of dirt and making it into a bird. They watched the bird fly away.
“Sure,” said the conjure-man, and reached down for a handful of raw material.
“Hey,” said god. “Use your own dirt.”
The best part was that I used my paper on evil that I wrote for Christian Theology my sophomore year of college. Nothing I've studied in seminary was helpful, but Sewanee religion classes helped a tiny bit!
I remember that paper, too. Took you a while to recover, iirc. Good luck with the rest of the tests!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home