Monday, October 30, 2006

In Kansas

We’ve been here since Thursday. Our lodging is wonderful. We’re on a small lake with lots of wildlife. Twice I’ve been sitting very still looking at the lake and a deer has crept up behind me, only to startle when I turn around. I think of her as a friend. Lots of birds here. We’ve had a lot of wind, so the trees are rapidly losing their leaves, but we did catch the tail end of the fall colors. The church here is very interesting. It does not feel very Episcopal, but their mission is to form new followers of Jesus, not new Episcopalians. Long sermons, praise music, very little congregational participation. We went to five services yesterday. One of the priests has to leave each service early to go start the next one. It’s like a church factory.

I'm thankful for some nature time. The weather has been warm, though that will change tonight. It's been good to get out of Chicago. Lawrence is really a great little city. Susan Smith Griffeth lives nearby, and we are hoping to get together sometime while I'm here.

Take care, all. We don't have Internet, so we come in to town every few days to pick up emails.

1 Comments:

At 10/31/2006 4:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to check comments, too, I hope!

Hey, did you notice that your comment thingie asks visitors to "Choose an identity." It's like a deep philosophical commitment, just to prattle on to Lauren. I went for "Other," seeing as how "not from Guildford after all" is currently unavailable.

Anyway, if I had gotten through to the local radio station this afternoon (ok, if my cell phone had been charged (ok, if my cell phone had actually been with me)), your tales of the U2charist would have helped me win a prize.

They have this contest where they read three offbeat stories from news, only they make some of them up, and listeners have to guess which ones are true; sometimes all are, sometimes none, usually a combination. Music by U2 at church services was one of today's. (The other two were Swiss women not having the right to vote until the mid-1970s, and in some places 1990; and a German town requiring residents to sort leaves for disposal by color because they decompose at different rates and thus take up varying amounts of volume at the local landfill.)

Not that any of this is Kansas related, but what's wrong with that?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home