Saturday, May 12, 2007

Another U2charist

This one rocked. Literally. A few seminarians and I traipsed over to St. Mary's, Park Ridge last night for their U2charist, featuring a U2 tribute band. Live music definitely makes the experience great! The place was packed, and though there was little dancing in the aisles (the aisles being narrow), there was much dancing, clapping, hopping, singing by the people in the rows of chairs. I was fortunate enough to be sitting on the end of a row, so I could edge out into the aisle and dance. The sermon was good, there was proper emphasis on the Millennium Development Goals without making us feel so bad about being privileged that we felt there was no point in bothering. That's been my experience a lot in seminary. The pounding into our heads that we are so privileged we actually can't do anything but we should be doing much more than we are - it's paralyzing rather than empowering. I've been to 3 U2charists now, and this one was definitely what I had thought they would be. No wonder they've become so popular. Is there a way to achieve that kind of experience in more traditional services?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home