Sunday, April 29, 2007

Camera Advice Please

I've been without a camera for about 4 months since mine was stolen at the Boar's Head Feast, and I want to get a new one before the crabapples bloom (assuming the late freeze didn't get them.) I'm thinking of switching to digital so it'll be easier to deal with pictures online. But I know nothing about digital. I'm very frugal (some might say cheap), so I'm not looking for top of the line, but I like to try to find the best deal for the price.

I know some of you have digital cameras. Leave a comment about what you'd recommend I get. (Or avoid.)

3 Comments:

At 4/29/2007 11:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sanba38 of LiveJournal here. I bought my Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 used on eBay almost a year ago, when I got frustrated with the limitations of 3X zoom. They still seem to run for about $200 used.

At the time, it was a Consumer Reports Best Buy. This model only has 5.1 MP, but that's enough to make a photo twice as big as a 1280 X 1024 desktop. Plus it has a 12X zoom without conversion lenses.

Here's a photo I took with a macro conversion lens (about $24)

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/d8d/d8d10f9d895c5b71e8b4a4deeed580bf_17d.jpg

Here's one I took without the lens.

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/72b/72be3667dcb5b4767af0c6b517c23cae_efc.jpg

More photos I've taken with the DSC-H1 without conversion lenses:

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/f88/f888c8c4258d0a8daeccc554536f6893_7f4.jpg
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/cc6/cc6183ab50411f64e1141c25700fde1f_48b.jpg
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/2a1/2a156cbf7f40380adb06c0c0e70cdc8f_571.jpg
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/44a/44a29ebc6b50812c10a1f5244aa91e1e_4d3.jpg
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/9fe/9fe7c78f6d70001e1313e79d3aa45e7d_9b3.jpg
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/723/72333367c3e41c1eedf9cf0e49515bd3.jpg
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/d16/d16b2d0db869b9019b14070a0063b773_70e.jpg

 
At 4/29/2007 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://photography.search.ebay.com/SOny-DSC-H1_Digital-Cameras_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ29997QQsatitleZSOnyQ20DSCQ2dH1

 
At 5/03/2007 8:02 AM , Blogger Shinscot said...

hey wren,

i second the recommendation of a Sony Cybershot of some shape or size. mine new was about $200 up on amazon.com, and is about 8mp, and super easy to use. you can see some of the results at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecce_quam/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home