Saturday, April 21, 2007

U2charist and stuff

We had our first U2charist Thursday night and it went very well. For those of you not in the know, a U2charist is a regular Eucharist service with U2 music used in place of hymns. It also supports the Millennium Development Goals. We raised over $400 to send to two organizations supporting the MDGs. The service was a collaborative project between us and the Methodist seminary across the street. I'm hoping we'll do another one next year and that I'll have time to be more involved in planning.

Today I went to a workshop on "Embodied Prayer" led by Nancy Roth. It was very cool. Since taking up yoga and Authentic Movement I've been thinking more and more about how to embody prayer. As much as I've never been a fan of liturgical dance, I've found that I'm longing for ways to connect to God that don't rely solely on words. The words of the liturgy seem to pass right over my head these days, and so I'm looking for more "right-brained" ways to participate in liturgy. This workshop gave me some ideas for things I can do in my personal prayer life and maybe also to add to liturgies in the future. It was so nice to spend a day off "The Block" as we call the seminary property.

Today was warm and sunny as well. I heard on the weather forecast yesterday that this would be the 3rd all sunny day that we'd had in 2 months. At last! Trees are beginning to bloom, and though the forsythia won't reach the peak of brilliant yellow that it did last year, at least some of it survived the freezing temps and it still looks pretty. Maybe spring will come after all.

6 Comments:

At 4/24/2007 4:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever read Little, Big by John Crowley?

Your last sentence reminds me of the part of the book called "Brother Northwind's Secret."

 
At 4/24/2007 7:45 AM , Blogger Merely Human said...

Yup. I've read it a couple of times though it was long ago. It even made the cut to come sit on the very small amount of shelfspace I allowed for fiction here, just in case I needed to refer to it. I believe I read your copy the first time and then I got one for myself.

 
At 4/24/2007 10:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, good, so the refernce wasn't lost.

I tend to recommend the book often, but even people with great taste don't always make it through, or don't particularly like it. But the folks who like it do tend to make shelf space for it however many times they move. Michael Dirda (one of the Washington Post's top book reviewers) thinks it's one of the greatest novels of the last quarter century. My friend Henry the international relations professor dreams of having the time to write the definitive exegesis of Little, Big. I got a new copy a little while ago because I was worried about wearing the old one out. (I'm also squarely within the Good Omens demographic, which is people who buy the book five or six times because the copies they lend out never come back; I'm on number three or four.)

And John Crowley has a blog, too.

 
At 4/24/2007 8:41 PM , Blogger Merely Human said...

Yeah, I'm that way with copies of Ender's Game. If someone ever does write an exegesis of Little, Big, I'd love to see it. I know I got things out of it, and there's something at the end about Big Alice expanding to take everything in that I remember thinking about a lot, and there's that whole memorizing scene, but a lot of it was difficult for me to understand. Maybe I'll try again. (But not now, probably.) I'm stalling from working on my ethics debate about end-of-life issues. Back to work.

 
At 4/24/2007 8:48 PM , Blogger Merely Human said...

Daily Alice. Not Big Alice. Wonder what that came from. In the interest of stalling, I looked her up and found she was Daily Alice.

 
At 4/27/2007 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm stalling ... about end-of-life issues."

Looks like that's your position right there... Though I hasten to add, "Aren't we all?"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home