Disputatio Success
The disputatio is an ancient form of debate and is what we engage in here at Seabury. I participated in one this morning. I was so nervous my stomach was churning. According to everyone who was there, I did a good job. Though I didn't win the debate, because I couldn't convince everyone that removing a feeding tube is the same thing as killing someone, if winning had depended on making the best argument, I would have won. Fortunately the winning or losing didn't matter to me - it was the passing grade I was more concerned with, and the teacher praised both sides but said that I'd done a great job of constructing my arguments. Me! Making arguments that are well constructed AND not based on emotion. Hmm... Not something I especially enjoy, but nice to know that after weeks of intense work on it I can actually do it. And I even argued the side that I don't agree with.
I'm exhausted, though. And I still have a paper left to write on the same topic.
I've been tagged for a meme again, something about my favorite saints. Right now I want to commune with the patron saint of sleep, so I'll have to put other favorite saints off till another day. I wonder if there is a patron saint of sleep...

3 Comments:
There seems to be, but they're all a bit, well, odd.
St Snusalarm, a Cypriot mystic who spent most of his time in a cave just north of Letymvou (now inconveniently located a few miles from the B7 highway); uncharitable fellow monks claimed he was not praying but was sleeping.
St Slipinian, an Armenian, little known outside his homeland, but the namesake of a nice chapel on the road from Echmiadzin to Metsamor. The chapel traces its history back to at least the Bagratuni period of Armenia's history, while Slipinian himself lived shortly after the fall of the Arshakuni dynasty. While the historical period was not restful, apparently he was.
St Takl Waykminot, a Coptic saint with (now somewhat obscure) ties to Ethiopia, and a well-regarded church in Alexandria, Egypt that's a leading Web-based outreach point for the Coptic community.
Evidently you have too much time on your hands!
What, do you think that little bit of wackiness took more than 20 minutes? It just happened to be the right few minutes for writing on your blog.
If you need more background about any of these three for your paper on saintliness, just let me know. I'm as reliable as many pre-medieval hagiographies, see if I'm not.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home