Thursday, November 15, 2007

A little more chocolate

I returned to the doctor today and found out that cysts are just going to be a part of my life. He wants me to continue with no caffeine, which also means no chocolate. I think that means indefinitely. I told him I was really missing chocolate. Maybe I could have small amounts of it. He didn't say anything. I'm taking that to mean I can choose to eat chocolate but that I should generally stay away from it. So I'll just save it for special occasions or make sure I keep the amounts small. How much caffeine could be in a small piece of chocolate anyway? He said it helps, but I can't tell a difference. I'm guessing that it helps some people and so they suggest it to all people with this problem. But there's no guarantee, and if I have to keep dealing with the pain and the annoyance of the cysts, then I should not also have to give up chocolate!

4 Comments:

At 11/15/2007 6:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

stick to dark chocolate, with a cacao number of at least 65% (i find 72% is heavenly!). caffeine amount is the same, but it is amazing how a small square becomes incredibly satisfying. plus, dark chocolate is full of flavanoids and anitoxidents, so it is actually good for you!

 
At 11/15/2007 9:18 PM , Blogger Rev. Jane Austen said...

Freezing chocolate (like brownies) can also help you eat less and really savor it. Everything in moderation--and sometimes, something extraordinary for self care purposes!

 
At 11/15/2007 11:00 PM , Blogger Merely Human said...

shinscot: Sadly I don't really like anything over 65%. I know I shouldn't complain, at least I can still eat wheat!

rev. jane: Hmm... I'd have to have a freezer in order to freeze the chocolate. That'll work when I move out of this apartment!

 
At 11/16/2007 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually did not like dark chocolate for a long time. loathed it, in fact. then i actually tried quality stuff, like Chocolove or Dagova. the Chocolove 65% with crystallized ginger is amazing, and i actually found i liked the taste of it. i also think the sweetness on the ginger helped ease me into learning to like it.

it is amazing how tastes change over time, and former ick foods are now enjoyable (lentils, dark chocolate, zucchini). still not sure there will ever be hope for sorghum flour as a wheat flour replacement, though. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home